Re: [OCLUG-Tech] MTA

On Wed, November 28, 2007 9:33 am, Chris H wrote:

> Im running postfix on as my MTA on opensuse10.3. As my ISP is rogers and
> mail server is magma it is required by magma that smtp is on port 587 and
> authorized with no encryption.

AFAIK (but I haven't tested it personally) you can specify:
smtp:[mail.magma.ca]:587
in your transport_maps file.  The [] disables MX lookups.

eg. in main.cf

And then something in /etc/postfix/transport like:
# Mappings for routing mail based on destination
#  Execute 'sudo postmap /etc/postfix/transport' after modifying
#
# line one means deliver mail for user@localhost locally
# line two means deliver mail for user [ at ] yourdomain [ dot ] com locally
# line three means deliver mail for user [ at ] subdomain [ dot ] yourdomain [ dot ] com locally
localhost       :
yourdomain.com  :
.yourdomain.com :
# The next line means relay mail for everyone else through Magma's server
*       smtp:[mail.magma.ca:]587

Make sure you read and understand:
http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html and
http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html

as this example file makes some assumptions about local delivery you
might not want and does not allow for virtual domains (if applicable).

Your magma info is from this source?
http://businesssupport.primus.ca/magmaemail.cfm

FWIW I am currently using TLS and it is working for me (assuming you
_want_ encryption) but to enable TLS more work is required, see:
http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html
specifically
SMTP Client specific settings

HTH,