[OCLUG-Tech] is it me (fc5 & sendmail) or is it gmail ?

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] is it me (fc5 & sendmail) or is it gmail ?
  • From: ahv [ at ] avantel [ dot ] ca
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:43:07 -0500 (EST)
Sorry for the long post - strange problem

A friend of mine asked me if I ever received email and all that's in
the email is the signature.  We compared notes and found that we had
received the same email from the same person but my friend's copy
had no message body and mine did.

The mail had been sent from a gmail account and since then I've been
checking, and the gmail email messages are in 2 parts
(mime/multipart) and the body in the 2 parts is NOT the same!  Part
2 in ALL email I receive from gmail accounts is always missing all
the text prior to the first carriage return.  After that first
carriage return, the messages are identical.

However, I can't find anything on 'the net' about this problem so
I'm starting to suspect that there might be something wrong with my
sendmail or other application.  I don't have this problem with mail
from any other source!

I'm hoping that somebody may have experienced similar symptoms and
can point me to some relevant info . . . perhaps even a solution?

Additional symptoms: - my kde mail client shows me the first copy of
the multipart email so I always see the total message.  However, if
I read my email remotely with squirrelmail, it shows me the other
part that's missing the first paragraph.

system info:
kernel 2.6.20-1.2320.fc5 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
sendmail-8.13.8-1.fc5

Does anyone have any clue what might be going on . . .

Cheers;

Alex
====

dangerous content by Avantel Systems, and is
believed to be clean.