[OCLUG-Tech] Eee PC VPN

After Pat's talk, I went out last week and got one of the EeePCs so Mary and I would not fight for keyboard to do email when travelling. Since we'll be at a couple of universities in new year, I tried our own U of O VPN. No joy with the installed software on the Eee (apparently using iproute and pptp-linux). From eeeuser forums I got suggestions to use vpnc (which I used successfully on my Ubuntu Acer laptop). However, with vpnc set up and configured via the terminal, I can get the welcome banner in text (response to vpnc-connect command) but my web browser continues to show the "You need to download the VPN client" page from our U of O computing service. This page is VERY hard to get rid of when I get home. Have to purge all the history and restart Firefox. Sigh.

Forum member suggested he had to "restore resolv.conf", though no suggestion as to what state to restore to.

I'd like to get this going, as I feel the Eee PC is a great subversive way to crack the M$ fortress at U of O. I took it to the secretarial pool and now know why it is "Eee" from the squeals. They all want one and had figured out where to buy one before I had time to answer the lady who asked where it could be purchased.

For info, I also got it to print to our Novell based network printer. I installed ncpfs, but may not have needed to. There were hooks in the Eee PC printer dialog for an App:Socket printer and this worked fine as I already knew the IP number.

I suspect most of my troubles are that I know only some parts of networking, and am missing understanding of other details. Suggest contacting me off-list and I'll put up solution when found. I'm also hoping to get a link on the U of O CCS site for such material, even if we put it on Tux.

JN