Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Harddisk location on a virgin machine ??

  • Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Harddisk location on a virgin machine ??
  • From: William Case <billlinux [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 23:40:50 -0400
Thanks Charles:

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 22:29 -0400, Charles MacDonald wrote:
[snip]
> Computer powers on, and does a CPU reset (hardware)
>
> Processer goes to rom and starts running BIOS.
>
> BIOS finds Video card and jumps to video init routine, then returns.
>
> At this point generaly gives first beep.

The point about the beeps is important.  I had forgotten that.

> BIOS is more or less customised to the Motherboard so it has in rom some
> idea of where to look for built in hardware.  (keyboard etc.

Rhetorical question; how?

> BIOS does memory check and finds memory boundries.
>
> BIOS looks for Periferals in common places and makes a list for its own use.

Rhetorical question; how?  Real question.  Should there be a data sheet
or some documentation that tells me how the firmware for my machine's
BIOS works?  Or, is my search fruitless because that info is
proprietary?

[snip]

--
Regards Bill