Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Error 15 trying to boot with GRUB

Will,

First, rootnoverify is a grub command that you give at the grub
command line - I don't think it goes in menu.lst as a config
file entry.  Shorten it to root (hd0, 1) and see if it works.

Failing that ...

Boot with a live cd (like Knoppix), mount your hard drive on
/mnt with 'mount /dev/hda2 /mnt'
and look in /mnt/ for the initrd and vmlinuz files.

If there aren't any, then look in /boot.

If there are some there, then make symbolic links from /mnt to /mnt/boot
like so:

    cd /mnt
    ln -s boot/initrd.gz initrd.gz
    ln -s boot/vmlinuz vmlinuz

The files in boot might have longer names with version numbers embedded.  If
that's the case, then the commands become something like:

    cd /mnt
    ln -s boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686 initrd.gz
    ln -s boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-686 vmlinuz

The object:  to have "link" entries in /mnt called initrd.gz and vmlinuz
and that point to /mnt/boot/initrd-2.6.18-4-686 and
/mnt/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-686, respectively.

Here's a directory listing from my machine:

bjb@spidy:/srv/bjb.work/fidus/sensilaser$ ls -la /init* /vm*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   28 Aug 23 18:35 /initrd.img -> boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-1-686
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   28 Jun 26 09:11 /initrd.img.old -> boot/initrd.img-2.6.21-1-686
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   25 Aug 23 18:35 /vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-1-686
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   25 Jun 26 09:11 /vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-1-686

You _don't_ want the /mnt part of the name to show in the link.
It won't be there when you boot.

You can try to find the initrd.gz and vmlinuz files from the grub command
line - just before it tries to boot into the kernel, press a key to get
the grub command line.  Then give the commands
root (hd0, 1)
    find /vmlinuz
    find /boot/vmlinuz
    find /initrd.gz
    find /boot/initrd.gz

and see if grub can find those files.  This isn't that much use for your
situation - you already know what partition you're installed on - but
might be a little quicker to find that the files are actually in /boot
than finding a Knoppix CD.

Chances are, the files in /boot have version numbers embedded in them
and the above won't find them.

If you still have trouble, please email again.  There are other
things you could do.  For instance, use path of /boot/vmlinuz and
/boot/initrd.gz (use the full names or make links) in menu.lst...
but it's easier to help if we have more specific info on your
progress.

You sound like you've found the manuals already, but in case you
haven't I've been looking up all this stuff in
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html
to compose this email.

cheerio,
bjb