Re: [Bulk] Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Tweaking M2NPV-VM motherboard + NVIDA 6150; & Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor ?

  • Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Tweaking M2NPV-VM motherboard + NVIDA 6150; & Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor ?
  • From: William Case <billlinux [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:30:48 -0400
Thanks Raj;

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 10:42 -0400, Raj wrote:

> William Case wrote:
> > Hi;

> > I have installed M2NPV-VM motherboard with an integrated NVIDA 6150
> > GeForce graphics chip; and a Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor. This
> > replaced a 5 year old Intel GB850 board and chip (plus an ATI Radeon
> > 9600 graphics card) that was fried by a dysfunctional power pack. I
> > currently have Fedora-7-i386 installed
> >
> > My main criteria was to select the most up to date board etc. I could
> > get that a small pension cheque would allow for.
> >
> > Frankly, I haven't seen much improvement over my old board, cpu and
> > graphics -- and in some instances things seem slower.  I don't use high
> > end graphics i.e. games.
> >
> >       * In practiacal terms, what difference should I be seeing?
> >       * How can I tweak things to get full value from my new
> >         installation?
>
> You could try the proprietory nvidia drivers, the seem to work better
> for me than the regular nv driver.

Initially, the nv driver worked well enough.  Based on the principle "If
it ain't broke, don't fix it" I left it alone.  But now I think I will
try the nvidia driver for a few days at least to see if there is a
difference.  Haven't tried 3-D Beryl yet.  I'll do that on nv and then
on nvidia.

> If you want programs to load faster, you probably need to upgrade to a
> faster drive.  Or if you're memory-constrained, perhaps adding more RAM
> may help.  How much RAM do you have right now?

I have 1028 Mb, i.e. 1 Gbm, of Ram.  That's where I thought I would see
the most difference.

> If you have >=512M, you
> could turn on fedora's read-ahead scripts and tune them to your system -
> they enable pre-caching of files at boot time, which helps with faster
> booting and program load.

I think they are already on.  I used to have 640Mb of RAM.  How would I
check?

> >       * Should I install the Fedora-7-x86_64 (64-bit), for ordinary
> >         desktop usage? Or, are too few applications ready for 64-bit
> >         yet?
>
> no, don't, there's a lot of browser add-ons that are just not 64bit
> ready yet (flash, sun java to name 2).  and I personally haven't seen a
> performance difference between the 32bit and 64bit systems for general
> desktop usage.

I'll stick with you.  Various people swear by, or condemn (for not being
ready), 64bit in the few mailing lists I belong to.

> >       * My CPU fan seems to be making more noise than before.  Should I
> >         replace it in the future?  Is there a cost vs quietness rule of
> >         thumb?
>
> Try and blow out the dust on the cpu fan/heatsink with some compressed
> air and see if it helps :)

The whole interior was cleaned before I installed the new board.  The
CPU was also brand new as was the fan that came with it.  I suppose I am
asking the subjective question "If I find the new fan sound annoying,
will the cost of replacing the fan be worth the slight/large noise
reduction?".  Have people replaced fans and then been able to give a
sigh of relief?

--
Regards Bill