[OCLUG-Tech] Tweaking M2NPV-VM motherboard + NVIDA 6150; & Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor ?

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Tweaking M2NPV-VM motherboard + NVIDA 6150; & Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor ?
  • From: William Case <billlinux [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:25:22 -0400
Hi;

I recently asked these questions on the Fedora mailing list but got no
response.

I have installed M2NPV-VM motherboard with an integrated NVIDA 6150
GeForce graphics chip; and a Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor. This
replaced a 5 year old Intel GB850 board and chip (plus an ATI Radeon
9600 graphics card) that was fried by a dysfunctional power pack. I
currently have Fedora-7-i386 installed

My main criteria was to select the most up to date board etc. I could
get that a small pension cheque would allow for.

Frankly, I haven't seen much improvement over my old board, cpu and
graphics -- and in some instances things seem slower.  I don't use high
end graphics i.e. games.

I have read the bumpf and the technical papers re: the M2NPV-VM
motherboard, the AMD processor and the NVIDA 6150 chip.  My discussion
points are:

      * In practiacal terms, what difference should I be seeing?
      * How can I tweak things to get full value from my new
        installation?
      * Should I install the Fedora-7-x86_64 (64-bit), for ordinary
        desktop usage? Or, are too few applications ready for 64-bit
        yet?
      * My CPU fan seems to be making more noise than before.  Should I
        replace it in the future?  Is there a cost vs quietness rule of
        thumb?

I will be glad to supply more info if it will help the discussion.  I am
calling it a discussion because, unlike on other occasions, I am not in
desperate need of help; I would be interested in several opinions and
exchanges; this is meant as a chat that doesn't take other people away
from regular work.
--
Regards Bill