Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: FC5 and Samba

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 06:15:03PM -0400, Alex @ Avantel Systems wrote:

> 3) (and this was the point of my posting) is there an other alternative ?

I would say there are two alternatives:

1.  Have Linux be the SMB server and Windows be the client.  Rather
    than Windows writing to a local directory and you trying to get
    that via SMB, you can have Windows writing to a remote directory
    via SMB and you getting it locally.

2.  Install Cygwin on the Windows system, along with SSH and/or rsync.
    rsync is great for incrementally synchronising entire trees.
    You'd launch it from either system as needed.

Both should be easier to use than smbclient, which I find rather archaic
in terms of interface.