RE: [OCLUG-Tech] Routing traffic by port number to two interfaces

SMB/CIFS
> traffic only.

Charles,

One option would be to specify the interface(s) that Samba service will
listen on. Take a look at the following config parameter which I cut
from the smb.conf man page;

"bind interfaces only (G)
              This  global  parameter  allows  the  Samba  admin to
limit what interfaces on a machine will serve SMB requests. It affects
file service smbd(8) and name service nmbd(8) in a slightly different
ways."

A quick answer to your other questions; yes, it is possible for a Linux
computer to have two network cards on the same IP subnet. In most cases
both interfaces would require a unique IP address. And yes it is
possible to configure Shorewall (or technically any iptables
implementation) to allow specific applications through one network
interface and not through others.

MikeR.