Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Building a New System -- starting with the case ??

Thanks Rod;

That gives me a lot to think (and dream) about.

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 09:48 -0400, Rod Giffin wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > Hi;

> > Starting with the case, I would like to do one of a couple of things;
> >
> >      1. Build the case with fine wood finish (mahogany, dark oak, dark
> >         walnut or Quebec Maple) .  Has anyone heard of this being done
> >         before?  I haven't googled for HOWTO sites yet, but am trying to
> >         collect my thoughts, and yours, about pit-falls and/or
> >         suggestions on how this might be down. And, how I might trim my
> >         monitor, keyboard etc. to match? Or,
> >      2. Re-paint (colourize) a vanilla case and trim, in a non-standard
> >         colour scheme with some kind of paint or whatever that would be
> >         durable.  I had in mind, what I call 'mustang yellow' like the
> >         mustardy yellow used on sporty cars.
> >
> > Any thoughts, suggestions or additions?
> >

> There are quite a few good computer case designs based on wood.  If
> you're a good carpenter, you can actually make them look like a piece of
> furniture.  There are two things to keep in mind though - ventilation,
> and shielding.  Wood is a good insulator, and can make an otherwise
> noisy computer fairly quiet in comparison.  But it also does not provide
> any shielding.  (Even plastic computers are coated with a metalic film
> inside.)  What you can do though, is laminate a metalic film to the
> inside of the case to provide that shielding.  Aluminum foil is often a
> choice, but in fact brass foil would be better, a lightweight (24 guage
> or thinner) steel lining would be even better.  Home Depot or Rona might
> have some metalic melamine, but make sure it's actually metalic.  Other
> than that, you can also go to Cohen's on Merivale and pick up some
> relatively thin brass sheeting.

This is along the lines I was thinking.

> The nicest simple designs I've seen replaced the metal case cover with a
> maple door skin veneer.  Thin wood, but exotics are possible, and it's
> usually knot free so even if it isn't an exotic, it can be stained to
> look that way.  On the front of the computer, the guy replaced the
> plastic bezel with one made of wood and plastic, in order to have the
> shaping in places where it was required.  Stained in cherry and
> varnished, it looked like an expensive piece of furniture.  He actually
> used the metal frame of the original computer case to mount the
> motherboard, power supply, drives etc.

I'll see what I can google for.  Somebody probably already has a set of
plans and materials list available.

> Another guy I know made a beautiful full sized desk/computer, that
> looked like a mahogany bankers desk.  I think the wood was actually
> poplar or birch.  The lower  left hand drawer was actually the computer
> case.  The monitor was embedded in the surface of the desk, under
> non-reflective glass, and he'd made a flip top sort of cover for the
> front drawer for the keyboard.  That desk was a work of art.  All of the
> wires were routed through a plastic conduit inside of the desk,so that
> all you could see sticking out was one power cable and the ethernet
> cable.  Everything else was internal - but accessible through removing
> the glass covering the monitor.  When he switched to a LCD display, I
> think a small modification was required in order to mount the monitor at
> the front of the glass instead of way down in the bowles of the desk.

I have longed wondered why that kind of thing wasn't available in the
'high-end world'.  I would sure be a great piece of furniture to have,
if it wasn't gimmicky but reflected genuine classical furniture design
and construction, and was rigged so that motherboards etc. were
replaceable.  Hang the expense.

--
Regards Bill