Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Confused re path usage??

Hi;

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 11:50 -0400, Bill Strosberg wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > Hi;
[snip]

> Includes in PHP are defined in the php.ini file.  If the include
> definition does not contain ":.:" somewhere in the include path locally
> referenced includes (i.e. ../includes etc.) will not work as PHP will
> not check places relevent to the current working directory.  Check in
> your system's php.ini file.
>
> Reading the fine manuals instead of asking the list for well documented
> items is very polite too.  It's been a couple of years now that you've
> been at this - your "newbie" mystique is fading.  Most of us have spent
> years reading (and writing) documentation, although helping _new_ folks
> is part of the culture, at some point everyone is expected to start
> giving back (or at least stop taking).

Just to set the record straight.  I never ask a question without having
googled first, reading man and info pages and/or manuals when available.
In this case, before I took on the new task (new for me) I read and
experimented with the PHP tutorial on php.net. There was no mention of
php.ini and special instructions for includes.

One of the reasons I asked was that I naturally assumed the path
commands worked universally in Linux.  I would never have thought the
problem was with 'includes'.

I have always appreciated the help I have been given by OCLUG.  The
reason I agreed to learn how to assist maintaining the OCLUG web site
was an effort at payback.

> Googling for:
>
>         PHP include file not found

Yes, I just tried it.  It worked.  I would never have thought of posing
that question that way on my own.  That is why I wrote such a long
winded post in the first place.

> will result in good answers without crusty responses.

If your opinion concerning my questions represents a general consensus,
I will go elsewhere.  As for responding to other peoples questions, I do
and have on other mailing lists.  I read the OCLUG lists every day and I
have never felt qualified, yet, to respond to questions posed by OCLUG
members.

I am sorry Bill, but my life's work has always involved asking
questions.  It is the only way I know how to do it.  If my posts annoy
you, I suggest you ignore them.  That, however, would be a shame because
I remember you were the first to give me extensive help when I started 2
1/2 -3 years ago.

--
Regards Bill