Re: [OCLUG-Tech] NIC info:

* William Case <billlinux [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com> [070516 23:29]:
> Hi;
>
> I am trying to learn how my Network Interface Card works from the ground
> up:
>
> Can anybody recommend a good read or detailed web site?
<snip>
> Hardware:  How do the following work?
> 1) The reception or sending of the electronic signal
> 2) How is the signal created or read.

googled for Ethernet electrical specification, and got this:

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/usail/external/ethernet/ethernet-guide.html
http://www.techfest.com/networking/lan/ethernet.htm

> 3) On a diagram or picture, where is the card's cpu, registers and other
> electronics such as clocks etc.
> 4) Where are the headers encoded/decoded?  How?

99.9% of the time the protocol headers are constructed on the host.  You
want to read about TCP/IP stacks.

The other 0.1% of the time you have an expensive NIC with stack offloading
-- your NIC actually does some of the TCP/IP stack's job.

-Bart

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/