Re: [OCLUG-Tech] communicating over internet.

* Ralph Boland <rpboland [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> [070510 12:51]:
> How do I find out what my server name or ip address is?

These command show the IP address:

# ifconfig
# ip addr

The name is reported by

# hostname

> I assume that this is the ip address I loaded into my router and
> that I can get it from there.  Am I right?

That's not always true.  What you know yourself by and what others know
you as don't always have to match.

> Is my server name there too?

It can be.  Try to resolve your IP:

# host <your IP here>

This will do a reverse lookup via your DNS.

> What are my choices for port number?

Anything over 1024 is fair game for any non-root process.  Things in the
60000 range have some special uses, like NAT.  Under 1024 are privileged
ports.  See /etc/services for what is already taken.

-Bart

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/