[OCLUG-Tech] A simple Emacs/elisp query ??

Hi;
In the Emacs tutorial I am using I have come to the TAGS file
compilation
part.  Following the instructions in the Tutorial and the Info Manual as
well as digesting the process has not been too difficult.  Neither
'locate' or M-x find-tags shows an existing TAGS file for emacs or
elisp.

What I want to check is where to create the TAGS file for both of these.
I know
I would want to put a TAGS file in a directory were I am building a
project in
the future but.. where should I put the TAGS file for Emacs itself.
The
Tutorial and Manual only ambiguously say: "in the appropriate directory"
then give me suggestions for directories I and emacs don't use.  Plus
they make reference to source files which don't seem to exist
separately on my installed version of emacs.  (I can download them if
need be.)

I do have '/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/emacs-lisp/' and
'/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/' that contain *.el (text) files.  Would
it be normal practice to compile TAGS files in those two directories?

Do I want to use each TAGS file  with M-. separately or should I combine
them?  However that is done?

--
Regards Bill