Re: [OCLUG-Tech] html/php 'Hello World'

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 21:13 -0400, Glenn Henshaw wrote:
> On 17-Apr-07, at 7:08 PM, William Case wrote:
>
> > Hi;
> >
> > I got the 'Hello World' practice file working then began playing with
> > it. My problem is getting the commenting out to work.  I have
> > obviously
> > missed something.
> >
> > Here is the little program:
> >   <head>
> >     <title>'PHP Test'</title>
> >   </head>

> >   <?php echo '<p>Hello World</p>' ?>
> >
> > <!--
> >   <?php
> >   if (strpos($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'], 'MSIE') !== FALSE) {
>      ?>   <!-- missing -->
> >     <h3>'strpos()must have returned non-false'</h3>

Ah! Thanks, that was what I was looking for.  I don't mind that kind of
learning mistake.  I usually chase them down as part of the learning
process.

> >   <?php
> >    } else {
> >   ?>
> >
> >     <h3>'strpos() must have returned false'</h3>
> >
> >   <?php
> >    }
> >   ?>
> > -->

> >   <?php /*phpinfo();*/ ?>
> >
> > The HTML manual told me to use <!-- and --> to make comments.  The
> > body
> > outside of the comment tags worked on my browser as it should.  The
> > stuff in between <!-- ... --> is things that I am trying out (playing
> > with). I wanted to comment out the stuff in order to find the error
> > causing the blank screen that I am getting on my browser.  My main
> > concern and to which I don't seem to be able to find an answer is
> > how to
> > comment out properly.
>
>    I believe that the HTML comments are interpreted by the browser.
> The PHP inside the comments will still be executed on the server.

Is there no way then, that I can comment out code like in C and start
working backwards to solve a coding problem.  It's too early in the game
for me to start learning how to run a HTTP or PHP debugger.  Not being
able to do something simple to solve another problem is where the real
frustration was coming into it.

> > Similarly, <?php /*phpinfo();*/ ?> at the bottom is something I
> > used to
> > experiment with commenting out in PHP.  Originally I had  /*
> > <?php /*phpinfo(); ?> */ placed where it is now -- outside of HTML or
> > any other tags yet the string showed up on my browser screen. That
> > doesn't make sense to me.  So, why?
>
>    In the original line, the comment delimiter is outside the php
> tags. You need to watch that the HTML and php are well separated.

Now I am really confused.  The file is a PHP file (help.php). Shouldn't
the browser be reading the PHP comments tags after the end of the HTML
code is closed off?

--
Regards Bill