[OCLUG-Tech] Corrupted disk

Sent to an Ubuntu user with a disk problem:

Recovery of your data may depend on the actual type of damage.

If there is some physical failure with the disk mechanism, as opposed to
a logical mixup with data (possibly due to power glitch etc.), then
things are more difficult and likely need the help of someone who will
take the disk apart and get at the physical surface.

However, it seems more likely it is logical errors, and many of these
are fixable with the Linux fsck tools. Since the errors may affect your
operating system, it's better to boot with a Knoppix or SystemRecovery
liveCD which have tools on them. I did this for one of my own machines
just this weekend.

I'm copying this to our OCLUG list to see if anyone has a different opinion.

In a separate msg I'll include my phone no. so you can call with questions.

JN