Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Embarassing need for help ...

Anyone know what Pathetico settings are necessary to talk to:

POP3
SMTP

Thanks in advance.

--
Bill Strosberg

Here are my sympatico.ca settings in Thunderbird:

SMTP:  smtphm.sympatico.ca
check mark in the box "use name and password"
Select TLS for secure connection.

POP:  pophm.sympatico.ca - port 995
security settings:  SSL

I had problems about a month ago.  Stoped getting e-mails.  Could send
but not receive (from either Windows or Linux).  Even when I sent from
myself to myself I would not receive it (but it would send).

Called help desk and likewise I have a feeling the help desk was from
outside the country.  I told the guy what was happening.  He asked me
for my OE settings.  Told him I was using Thunderbird.  He had no clue
what that was.  I had to spell it for him and tell him it was an
e-mail client.  He then started telling me that it was a Thunderbird
problem and I'd have to call them.  I was expecting that and told him
that hold on, I have OE also installed and am having the same problem
there.  And that if that's what he prefers, let's trouble shoot the
problem from OE.

He then asked me if I had a Hotmail e-mail account.  I told him no,
this was concerning my Sympatico e-mail account.  He asked if I wanted
him to set me up with a Hotmail e-mail account.  Reader's Digest
version is I eventually figured out that Sympatico has apparently
outsourced their e-mail to Hotmail and that you can go to hotmail.com
and log into your sympatico.ca account (wish they would have told me
that).  I logged in and saw that all my messages were being flagged as
spam.  The spam filter was set to high (so basically had to have a
white list before it would get through).  The fact that I didn't even
know my e-mail was going through Hotmail pretty much confirms that I
never went in and changed my spam filtering settings.  I rolled it
back to as permissive as possible (you can't shut it off completely)
because I want Thunderbird to do my spam filtering.  That way I can
see when stuff goes to the spam bucket and I can check it before it is
purged.  How many messages did I lose before this was changed??  Spam
messages are only retained for a week I believe and then purged.  So I
no doubt lost a few messages as I was having this problem for about 2
weeks (strangely some messages would occasionally get through so I
didn't pick up on it immediately figuring at first the problem was
with the firewall at work when those messages didn't make it home).  I
fired off an e-mail about this spam filtering setting changing on its
own, and the fact that their should be a setting for no spam
filtering.  I also told the guy at the help desk that he should pass
on to the supervisor that people's spam filtering appears to have been
upgraded without their knowledge and will no doubt cause messages to
be lost and other similar support calls.  He said he would.  I'm not
convinced he did, but I did my part.

So there you have it.  The settings that work for me.  My frustrations
and experience with their help desk (and as in the few times in the
past I've used it I've ended up figuring it out myself while on the
phone with them), and the word to the wise to log onto your
sympatico.ca e-mail account via hotmail.com and check the spam
filtering settings.  You may be losing valid messages because someone
decided for you that your spam filtering settings should be elevated.

Jacques B.