Re: [OCLUG-Tech] VESA (again)

Bart Trojanowski wrote:
* Randal Leavitt <randal [ dot ] leavitt [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com> [070205 14:35]:
"try switching your graphics driver to Vesa and let me know if it helps with this issue?"

I wonder if I could get some clues about how to do this?  Thanks.

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf you will have a section called Section "Device"
And in that section you will have a line that specifies the driver
        driver "ati"
They, apparently, want yo to change that to "vesa" and restart X.
-Bart
Thanks Bart. I tried your suggestion above and it made no difference. Then with a lot of help from the people at Codeweavers I solved the problem. The problem had nothing to do with X or graphics issues. I can now install Quicken 2000 within the Codeweavers Crossover framework on an Ubuntu machine. I has taken nearly six months to reach this goal. This gives me a path to move away from the Libranet distribution of Linux that I was doing all my record keeping on. Life is a lot better today.

These issues of mixed technology are the most difficult ones to solve. I just want to keep my financial records properly. This involves me with Microsoft, Intuit, Codeweavers, Libranet, Ubuntu, and the various hardware providers associated with my systems. When something does not work who do you call? Clearly, not Microsoft. Things become even more interesting when the federal government insists that interactions with them take place using software that does not run on Linux. Thankfully that problem seems to be diminishing. Living in Linuxland is not for the faint of heart.

--
Randal Leavitt - another Ubuntu user
http://positiveenergy.blogspot.com/