Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Ubuntu Vista

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 12:55:36PM -0500, Bill Strosberg wrote:
> Wm. Stewart wrote:
> > http://www.degredo.net/
> >
> > "My father heard about Vista coming on the news. Since he was interested in
> > getting it, he asked me to obtain it and install it on his computer and he
> > would give some cash in return. I told him I was going to do that, but
> > instead I burned an Ubuntu CD and installed it.
> >
> > Later, when he came home from work, I showed him his new "Vista" install,
> > complete with the latest Office and Solitaire.
> >
> > Well, it's been a few days since that and now he says Bill Gates is better
> > than Steve Jobs and brags about how OS X on my iMac is obsolete compared to
> > Vista on his PC.
> >
> > I will continue with the prank for some weeks, after which I'll tell him
> > the truth and give him back his money."
> >
> Take his money, and donate some of it to the FSF in his name.  Keep some
> for your own efforts, as you've spent valuable time and expertise making
> his life easier.
>
> If you take the money and give it away without telling him, he will
> respect you and the software more.  People just do not respect free, and
> the more they pay, the more they value and respect both you and the
> software.
>
> I guarantee if you tell him he won't respect you, and he'll decide he
> needs real Windows Vista.

If the client finds out independently, the client would be in a legal
place to have the installer charged with fraud.  Being his son though,
this route probably won't be taken, but we can never be certain.

I do like your idea though, and if I were the installer, I would tell
the client, as he indicates he intends to, offer to refund the money,
but offer to alternatively do as you have suggested.

> Sheep only make sense to shepherds.  Be a shepherd, not a sheep.

Lots of people fancy themselves shepherds, such as organized crime
bosses, businessmen, politicians, religious leaders, many of whom fancy
that they can ignore their society's values and laws.

> Bill Strosberg

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --    ~\             Auto-Free Ottawa! Canada
<www.TriColour.net>                --    \@       @       <www.flora.org/afo/>