Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Challenge - Who can sell my wife a set-up Running Linux System?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Challenge - Who can sell my wife a set-up Running Linux System?
  • From: William Case <billlinux [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 15:14:16 -0400
Hi Charles;

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 14:56 -0400, Bill Strosberg wrote:
> Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> > Any reason why you can't run some cat5 cable and share your high-speed
> > connection?
> >
> Or WiFi if Cat5 is an issue?
>
> If you use a cheapo WiFi router (Linksys, DLink etc.) you do not have to
> have either computer on for this to work.  A wireless router and one PCI
> WiFi card can be had for about $80 new and much less used.
>
> Unless you _really_ don't like your wife and you are torturing her via
> dial up Internet access for some reason.
>
> For about $80 you can have everyone happy and at high speed with a
> degree of reasonable protection via the router's firewall capabilities.
> No running cables, no muss no fuss.
>
> --
> Bill Strosberg

I have a cheapo $39 AOpen SOHO Router connected independently to three
separate computers, two are dual boot, one Windows only.  I run lines
from three different rooms. The Router is connected to the cable modem
in the basement but could be anywhere.  Each user has independent access
to Rogers.  Has worked for three years with no problems. Well, I screw
around and mess my stuff up but it doesn't interfere with any body else.
--
Regards Bill