Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Challenge - Who can sell my wife a set-up Running Linux System?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Challenge - Who can sell my wife a set-up Running Linux System?
  • From: Robert Brockway <rbrockway [ at ] opentrend [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:05:22 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, Charles MacDonald wrote:

After all that the chalenge.  Is their anywhere she can go and get a
pre-running system with KUbuntu, or Suse.  (She is used to KDE by Now,
and when I tried a ubuntu live disk she found the Gnome Desktop
distastful.)

Hi Charles. It seems you already have a working Suse box, why not try using that? Remember, X is network transparent. Using either a true thin client[1], or a *nix/MS-Win box running appropriate software you can both access the same system at the same time and get great performance.

A lot of people dismiss this idea with complaints about performance. A lot of people make these comments with little or no actual experience of using an XTerminal. I've been using XTerminals on my desktop for about 10 years. With modern systems (especially with a good amount of ram) only the greatest of power users will throttle a box. The rest of the userbase will not notice any performance hit.

Interestingly I ran a box with the Xserver running locally on my desktop for the first time in many years recently (not my choice). I found this was slower due to a performance bottleneck with the Xserver competing for resources on the workstation. I'm moving back to a thin client at that location as soon as possible.

What I'm trying to emphasise is there seems to be an implicit assumption that X users require X workstations. Not so, try thin client - it's cheaper, requires less management overhead and actually performs better in many cases.

If you want to discuss thin client with me more I'm happy to go into further detail.

[1] These days they're mostly just Linux boxes anyway.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073

If you are emailing regarding an open ticket please consider
mentioning the ticket ID as this will assist us in responding
as quickly as possible.