Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Kernel Update Goes Funny

On Wednesday 26 July 2006 21:18, Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 08:14:45PM -0400, Barry McLarnon wrote:
> > > Have you checked /vmlinuz to make sure it's a symbolic or hard
> > > link to the appropriate kernel in /boot?  This tends to be a LILO
> > > thing rather than a GRUB thing, but it's possible your GRUB config
> > > points there.
> >
> > Yep, here's the contents of /boot (this will be ugly due to
> > wrapping):
>
> Okay, that all looks good.  But what about /vmlinuz rather than
> /boot/vmlinuz?

I don't have a /vmlinuz on my system.

I just thought of another possibility that could explain this weirdness.  I
have two identical 250 MB SATA drives on this system.  I use one drive as a
mirrored backup of the other drive.  Rather than use RAID, I use rsync
periodically to do the mirroring.  I haven't done this since doing the kernel
update, so the mirror drive still has the old kernel on it.  The strange
behaviour I'm seeing could be explained if the system was initially booting
from the mirror drive (/dev/sdb), and then mounting the first drive
(/dev/sda) to continue the boot process.  I guess I should try swapping the
boot order of the two drives in the BIOS and see what happens.  D'oh!

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  VE3JF  Ottawa, ON