[OCLUG-Tech] need some basic info about setting up / using IMAP server

First question, before I get into all the questions...
Say there's some default imap installed from the distribution.
If you install one of the non-default offerings (Cyrus, Courier,
Dovecot), do they just replace the imapd, imaps, pop3d, etc.
executables with the exact same name? Or should xinetd
now be starting some process called Courier or Dovecot,
and have imapd (for example) disabled?
To put that another way, if I see something called imapd,
is that ALWAYS the original, default imap daemon (what is
that anyway... the University of Washington version?), or
could it be a replacement that just uses the generic
process label for convenience?

I'm using SUSE 10.1 if that makes a difference to anything.

So, fetchmail fetches from my ISP.
Postfix places the incoming mail in ~/Maildir/.
Then Dovecot... well, we're not sure.

I did minimal configuring, so far, 'cuz:

a) I don't really know what I'm doing and
b) they say the defaults should suffice for basic setups.

Over on my iBook, I direct the MacOS Mail program to connect
to 192.168.1.60 143 (the plain, non-ssl imap port on the
SUSE box).
It complains.

To see if Dovecot is even pretending to serve on port 143,
I open a terminal on the iBook and telnet to the same address.
Dovecot answers.   Woohoo!
It wants a login. NOT my userid (which is the same on both machines),
and NOT root.  So what is it expecting by way of authentication?

Later on, I'd like to have the SUSE box retrieve and serve
mail for three users on my home network, but for now there's
just me, barely.

I start Dovecot from su - root, since my regular user can't
even see the command (that's how it was installed, and
I figure YaST knows what it's doing). The process is
definitely running.

So, two things:

Without configuring for any particular authent scheme
(no LDAP, no certs), what is Dovecot serving, and to
whom should it be willing to serve?

If I prefer to handle everybody's mail from /data/<username>/Maildir/,
rather than from ~/Maildir/, I think I can persuade Postfix
to put it where I want. Does Dovecot need to be told where to
look, or does one just put links in each user's home directory,
pointing to the new /Maildir/ and Dovecot doesn't need to know?

OK, three things... should Dovecot be given to "mail" or
some other special-purpose system userid? Or should it
remain the property of root?

Kevin (at work, with a ton of unread mail at home... I think)