[OCLUG-Tech] Friend installed Linux - then ripped out WindowsXP: He needs help ??

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Friend installed Linux - then ripped out WindowsXP: He needs help ??
  • From: William Case <billlinux [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 12:38:24 -0400
Hi;

I helped a friend install Fedora Core 5 two weeks ago.  Everything went
fine.

Then for some unexplained reason he deleted (not uninstalled) his
WindowsXP on a separate hard disk.  Now he has to get at some of his old
XP files  -- and I need help telling him how to do it.

The situation is this:

/dev/hda  has FC5 installed;
/dev/hdc  had WindowsXP; he thinks it was vfat, not NTFS, but is not
sure.

parted /dev/hdc can see the disk, says it is type msdos.
fdisk -l /dev/hdc can see the disk; marked as vfat
mount -t vfat [or msdos] /mnt/windows /dev/hdc  can't mount disk; error
says file system unrecognized.

He claims hdc was not re-formatted.  He could be right.

Is there a way to get at the files that are still on hdc and to rescue
them?

--
Regards Bill