[OCLUG-Tech] cups/smb/WindowsAD

Hi all,

Just looking for some direction.

I want to print from linux(clients) to windows server.

I have linux clients authenticating to the win3kAD server through samba.
No problems, users get there home directories mounted by smb. Now I know
you can use smbspool/smbprint, but this requires a password entered in
clear text. As well I would like to automate this so users can just click
print, and it just does it.

Can I do this:

Have the cups client talk to win3kAD server using IPP? But my question is
how does authentication work? Can I some how do this with samba? Now I
know in past I have always made my print server a UNIX box, therefore have
all windows/UNIX clients pointing at it. Which works, but in this case I
cannot change the print server for a number of reasons.

Any ideas? thoughts?

thanks,

jerry

message navigation