Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Apache, Bind and virtual hosts again

I missed this post and meant to reply:

I love Webmin and cannot function with out it when I take the mon, kb and mouse off the servers. :)

The only reason I was doing it by hand again is that Webmin is a better config editor than condig creator and works best when the file is right to start with. I had broken it so bad webmin was having a rough time of it and the files were a mess. It is a good test of system sanity I find.

Webmin works fantastic once you know what you're doing in Linux WRT sys admin already. It is not much help for a non-expert. Being non-expert, I had a lot of trouble using bind and apache with it. You should see it now though! Looks beautiful and everything works nice.

I also successfully beat off my first trojan/virus attack Thur, which would not likely have done a lot of damage I am sure, but it was making it slow and noisy to work as it brute force tried to hack SSH. I added a "drop rule" to the Linux Firewall. This was so beyond me before (now it seems so simple, its stupid), I would just sit through it and wait until the infected comp shut down and the noise stopped, like last week when someone tried the same thing on MySQL and all I could do was turn off MySQL - sad eh?.

I read an article a coulple of weeks ago in which the author made the following statement.

"Linux is incredibly easy to use."

(HUH?)

He qualified it by continuing with: "but incredibly difficult to learn".

Put that way I have to agree. Once you know what you need to do, there are not really that many hoops to jump through. Finding the hoops though....

Adding the drop rule was made easy with Webmin, once I knew what I had to do.

The silence in my logs is deafening :) - I love it.

Scy

Howard Krakower wrote:
You might want to try using webmin http://www.webmin.com/ as a
configuration tool - I've used it successfully for a number of years.
It isn't as powerful a control panel as Plesk or C-Pan, but it does
work well (mail handling through Plesk is better, and you can frame
forward one domain to another).

Howard