Re: [OCLUG-Tech] DSL, .11g router, apache, bind, port forwarding on a small network.

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] DSL, .11g router, apache, bind, port forwarding on a small network.
  • From: Adrian Irving-Beer <wisq-oclug [ at ] wisq [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 09:58:09 -0400
On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 10:36:11AM -0400, sberaud wrote:

> Later documentations also suggests using * here will result in the
> server stopping listening to any port as it would end up trying to
> listen in on all of them, in complete disagreement with the earlier
> section that suggested using it.

I would disregard this.  * applies to the IP address, not the port.
Nobody would be stupid enough to program Apache to listen on all ports
under any circumstances.  And besides, as I recall, the 'Listen'
directive is what tells Apache to listen.  The NameVirtualhost and
<VirtualHost> directives don't tell Apache to listen, they just tell
Apache how to handle a request on that port.  If you're really
concerned, though, then just use *:80.

We use this in a production environment:

	Port 80
	Listen 80
	Listen 443
	NameVirtualHost *:80
	NameVirtualHost *:443

	<VirtualHost _default_:80>
		ServerName server1.domain.com
		ServerAlias alias1.domain.com alias2.domain.com
	</VirtualHost>
	<VirtualHost _default_:443>
		ServerName name1.domain.com
		ServerAlias alias1.domain.com alias2.domain.com
	</VirtualHost>

	(etc... total of 44 <VirtualHost> directives)

Note that the only reason we can use name-based virtual hosts for SSL
is because we only have one SSL key; hence, one webserver name is
encrypted and authenticated, while the rest are just encrypted.

Also note that _default_ is not an example substitute for anything
(like my ServerNames), it's a special Apache host keyword.  I forget
exactly what it means, but it's what we've used for years.