[OCLUG-Tech] DSL, .11g router, apache, bind, port forwarding on a small network.

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] DSL, .11g router, apache, bind, port forwarding on a small network.
  • From: sberaud <sberaud [ at ] pppoe [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:50:36 -0400
Hello.

I am slowly adding domains and returning my sites back into active status after neglecting them for a while due to replacing my Linux based home built router with a wireless mortorla/firewall DSL router and not having a clue how to configure it properly and thus only had the machine-name based domain working via the static IP for the last 6 months or so (10Mbit was getting long in the tooth).

My main server box is Mandrake 9.1. It is this way because it is one of the few available distros that will run well on an old AMD350 with 256mb pc133, have a decent GUI and export VNC with some degree of performance.

I was playing with Ubuntu (wow Debian that works ;)) on my desktop and like it a lot. I am just nor sure it will run all that well on an old 350 as xorg and 2.6 level kernels are a dog by comparison to Xfree86 on 2.4 on the box (it slows to a crawl when VNC runs), but given the hoops I am jumping through to try to get the problems sorted out it might be worth it, if server based things work as well as the stuff I looked at for the desktop.

The other server is 2.4 ghz AMD with WinXP32, and provides cross-platform web development services in the form of IIS, MySQL and MSSQL. It is not forwarded to via the router directly, and is pretty much sandboxed.

Both servers are headless and my workstation is Win x64/SuSE x64 (10.0), hence the need for VNC.

The router is a Motorola 802.11G DSL router with 4 port hub. It contains a built in DHCP server and what appears to be a DNS responder. Sadly it runs ASP. It has a host name set by me to play nice with the others as part of the primary domain.

The router sits on a static external IP and maintains a private internal subnet with one connected machine being allowed as a "virtual server" and is port-forwarded to automatically by the router. I have some control of the procedure, but most of it is Greek to me..

So the problem here is a combination of ignorance and ignorance.

Being used to having my router and DNS/Web servers as part of the same Linux box, making virtual hosts and domains was not actually all that hard.

Now that I have the DSL router, configuring the port forwarding and then using BIND to run the other domains has been, err... problematic.

I think.

I am not sure because things are sorta working, sorta not, and the way its not is confusing the heck out of me.

So first question:

Apache and bind: Vhosts

In order to get both the primary host domain and additional vhosts to work, what set of IPs do I use, the external or internal, when configuring "A" records in bind and NamedVirtualHosts in Apache to get the outside world to see both domains when the name server is being forwarded to and the machine ip is on a private subnet and is different from the declared (registered) "host"?

As mentioned it sorta works, as some people can see the sites from the outside and some not. I used the internal subnets. in the configs.

I realize there may not be much here for anybody to go on, so if clarification is required, I will be happy to provide it.

T.I.A.

S.