Re: [OCLUG-Tech] help with reading strace output

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] help with reading strace output
  • From: Martin Hicks <mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 11:28:05 -0500
On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 06:16:08PM +0000, ed stuckems wrote:
> I'm trying to determine why something is crashing and I decided to use
> strace to help get to the root of the problem but I find I'm having trouble
> decoding the output.  The following line seems to be where I want to start
> investigating:
>
> clone(child_stack=0, flags=CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID|CLONE_CHILD_SETTID|SIGCHLD.
> child_tidptr=0xb7dbeb68) = 137
>
> Here are my questions:
> (1) is this the clone the one defined in user space? I've man'ed clone and
> the man page lists a different first parameter so I'm somewhat skeptical
> that I'm reading the correct man page.

You're talking about clone(2)  (i.e., the syscall)?  I think that's what
you're calling.  The basic args are there although you are correct in
saying that things don't look quite the same as the manpage.

> (2) since I'm not sure which clone is being called, I not sure where I
> should dig to decipher the 137 returned from the call.  Where should I look?

Its the TID of the cloned process, by the look of the manpage.
mh

--
Martin Hicks || mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org || PGP/GnuPG: 0x4C7F2BEE