Re: [OCLUG-Tech] laptop

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, ed stuckems wrote:

> I'm going to buy my first laptop and I'm looking for advice.

I would agree with comments by others. I previously had a Dell Lattitude
that I dual-booted (3 years) and following that, now a IBM Thinkpad (3+
years).

Turned out the Dell was a lemon design. Met a friend on the bus one day
who pulled out the same model. We both had had multiple repairs to the
LCD.

I am _very_ glad I had the 3 year warranty on the Dell. I would have been
screwed without the extra two years (which I think cost about $200). I got
the optional, full 3 year warranty for the IBM and although it has been
much better than the Dell, I am glad I got the extended warranty because I
did use that in the last year.

I would personally not get a laptop that I cannot get a 3 year warranty
for, even at the extra cost. Laptops take a beating and it's not like you
can fix them yourself... (well, you _have_ to with the Dell approach,
where they will even send you a motherboard replacement and fairly good
instruction book and you have to dis- and reassemble it yourself. Like
building a Heathkit...)

As mentioned by others, the IBM (now Lenovo) thinkpad does work very well
on Linux. I do not regret paying the extra for a quality, compatible
machine.

Good luck.

 Brett