Re: [OCLUG-Tech] linux install with kernel parameters

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] linux install with kernel parameters
  • From: "Alex @ Avantel Systems" <ahv [ at ] avantel [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 17:59:41 -0400
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 12:13:47AM -0400, Alex @ Avantel Systems wrote:
> > [...]
> > At that point the system complains that no operating system was found.
> > I'm assuming that the disks are not found because if I use linux rescue,
> > the disks can't be found and the installer can't find any trace of the
> > bootloader.
>
> "No operating system found" usually means that the BIOS can't find a
> bootable OS.  GRUB hasn't even entered the picture at this point.  Are
> you sure your BIOS can boot off this drive?

Yes - I had it working with RH7.2 and was able to do that with a default
install.

Isn't there a step in between - initrd - which loads the drivers needed to
access the disk?  If the correct drivers aren't available the disks can't be
seen.

The default install couldn't see the disks either - I had to load the modules
manually and then the install was able to complete OK.

Assuming that some specific modules are needed to see the disks, how do I fix
that?  I'm assuming I need a different set of drivers in initrd but how do I
get there from here?

Alex
====

> I don't really know what to suggest though.  One workaround if you have
> a floppy drive is to always use a boot disk, but since the Fedora disks
> don't detect your disks automatically, you'll probably need to create
> one by hand.  If you're familiar with compiling kernels, 'make zdisk' is
> one way to go.
>
> Good luck!
> Jody

dangerous content by Avantel Systems, and is
believed to be clean.