[OCLUG-Tech] linux install with kernel parameters

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] linux install with kernel parameters
  • From: "Alex @ Avantel Systems" <ahv [ at ] avantel [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 00:13:47 -0400
When I try to install Fedora C3 on my scsi / SMP / ancient box, the discs are
not recognized unless I tell the installer to "no-probe" and then manually
load the drivers.  If I don't do this, the installer fails to find my scsi
disks even though the BIOS sees them correctly.

Once the drivers are selected the installer finds the drives OK and the
installation completes with no further problems.  The grub boot loader is
installed on the MBR. Everything completes OK until it's time to re-boot.

At that point the system complains that no operating system was found. I'm
assuming that the disks are not found because if I use linux rescue, the
disks can't be found and the installer can't find any trace of the
bootloader.

I've never had to pass kernel parameters in the bootloader so if that's what I
have to do, I need some help figuring out how to do that.  Presumably I need
to pass some info on the driver for the controller, etc.

Question 1) Am I on the right track or am I missing something totally
different

Question 2) what do I do next? - How do I get that info.

Anyone ?

TIA

Alex
====

dangerous content by Avantel Systems, and is
believed to be clean.