[OCLUG-Tech] Re: Some questions about Intel use of transistors and logic gates ??

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: Some questions about Intel use of transistors and logic gates ??
  • From: William Case <billlinux [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 12:41:17 -0400
Hi;

I have been completely and fully admonished by "don't threaten to ask
privately again !  :-)" so with due contrition I have a couple of
questions this morning.

Yesterday I started reading some stuff about digital electronics and
microprocessors that I borrowed as a result of my integrated circuits
question here.  I would like to thank Mike Kenzie for lending me
"Understanding Digital Electronics" and "Understanding Microprocessors"
both by the Texas Instruments Learning Centre, 1978, he purchased from
Radio Shack.  I must admit I was sceptical when I saw the publishers,
distributer and date.  I was wrong.  These are two excellent little
introductory books, written for precocious 12 year olds or retarded 62
year olds.  Thanks Mike.  However, as a began to think about what I have
read so far in these books and elsewhere some technical and conceptual
questions have occurred to me:

1) a bit equals 1 or 0.  More concretely, 1 is a pulse made up of 5+
volts while 0 is really a pulse made up of approximately 3 volts.
Translated into eV (electron volts), 1 is then 31.2 quintillion
electrons that travel at the speed of light.  0 would be an electric
pulse of about 18.7 quintillion electrons (a quintillion = 10^18).

I acknowledge we are really talking about the electromotive force of
31.2 electrons rather than actually that many electrons in one pulse,
and we are talking about the speed of the wave front for the
electromotive force rather than the actual transference of electrons
from place to place.  Actual electrons move much slower than the speed
of light (70% -- I think).

But it doesn't matter which mental picture I have, a representation or
the full reality.  To mentally envision electromotive force requires
that I also picture disturbed Brownian motion, moving invisible fields
and such in a direct current.  For picturing what is happening in my
computer, I just pretend that electrons are getting bunched up and
moving at the speed of light.

In any case, is the above a fair description of what a bit is?

I remember reading that in reality a 1 bit in an ordinary chip (I have a
P4 + DRAM) is equal to something like 5.8 ?? volts, give or take some??
percentage, while 0 is equal to something less than 3.4 ?? volts.  Now I
can't find the original reference. Can anybody tell me where I might
find it?

My problem here I am sure, is not knowing enough to write the correct
search criteria.  (I have been embarrassed in the past by not being able
to find Linux things and someone else retrieving it in one google go.)

As I think about what I have read so far, a few conceptual questions
come to mind.  By using varying doping levels and varying voltage levels
in a single transistor couldn't a trinary or a quadrinary, or a decimal
computer system be built.  Putting aside why you might want to do that,
is there any physical restriction on why it can't be done.?

Lastly, as I look at various schematics of how a transistor works they
all seem to show that when there is a 0 bit the current, of course, is
too low of a voltage to complete the circuit.  Those same schematics
show the low voltage being drained off to ground.  Why isn't the low
voltage current used to form a separate low voltage path (circuit) so
that a transistor would be 'either', 'or' rather than 'on', 'off'.

Regards Bill