Re: [OCLUG-Tech] modem woes

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 12:08:49PM -0400, Mike wrote:

> > This doesn't seem to be a linux related issue since the extra lights are
> > on right from power-on.  This weird situation also happens on two
> > different machines, and doesn't appear on the third.
> >
> > The kernel dmesg reports ttyS0 and ttyS1 are both 16550A and they're at
> > 0x3f8 and 0x2f8 respectively.
>
> Are you using the same cable with the laptop and desktop?

Yes.

> Is another process using the serial port?

No, as I said the lights are messed up right from power-on.

> Perhaps you have console echoed to serial?

Don't think so.

> I've been working with Dell customers lately so I have to ask
> Are you sure it's the serial port and not the parallel

quite sure.  They're a different gender..and size.

I should try getting serial console to work to those machines, just to
prove to myself that the serial port is actually working.
Still pretty weird though.
mh

--
Martin Hicks || mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org || PGP/GnuPG: 0x4C7F2BEE