Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re TCP Ports -- and the little guy listening

Thank you Adrian;

Your answer(s) have certainly put me on the right track of what I wanted
to know.

I am going to print out your responses and read them carefully.

I have several TCP/IP manuals here that I can consult for clarification,
and I can always google.  But your answers got me past the concept level
of TCP into the kind of nitty-gritty I need to understand something.

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 12:23 -0400, Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 11:16:58AM -0400, William Case wrote:
>
> > I am particularly confused by the concept that something is
> > "listening" on certain ports.  I hope there isn't a little guy in my
> > computer with big ears, because he is probably dead by now.  I
> > haven't been feeding him.
>
> No more than there are people singing inside your radio. :)

[large snip]

Regards Bill