-----Original Message-----
From: oclug-bounces [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca
[mailto:oclug-bounces [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca]On Behalf Of Mike
Sent: March 6, 2005 11:31 AM
To: oclug [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca; linux [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca
Subject: [oclug] dhcp grief

Well I thought I had isolated my troubles. But no such luck.  I wrote a
little
script to track my IP, when things were bad the IP was changing every 10
minutes (the time of the cron job).  After trying to tweek dhcp and  the
pppoe configurations on my SuSE 9.0 machine I gave up and switched to the
linksys BEFR41 router and WOW things were fast for a day.  Now since it's
the
weekend its crap again.

I have 50 messages queued up and my IP changes after downloading 4 messages
then things hang.  Forget loading a web page the IP changes before it loads.

This fits in with the earlier observation of being able to ping a site but
not
load the page.

Still have trouble explaining why the trouble seems to happen on
Fridays-Sunday or when someone wants to look something up.

Friends still on dial up claim to have faster downloads.  A test downloading
firefox put me in line with a 33.6.

The online DSL speed tests say things are OK, but after hitting the back
button it reports I have a T3.

Could a dhcp server be like a kettle, neither work when watched?

PS: CJOH tech feature at 6 will have a bit on old computers
--
Collector of vintage computers http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600
Machines to trade http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600/trade.html