Re: [OCLUG-Tech] logwatch (was: reduceing ssh brute force attempts with iptables)

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] logwatch (was: reduceing ssh brute force attempts with iptables)
  • From: Vic Gedris <vic [ at ] gedris [ dot ] org>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:06:39 -0500
On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 05:58:00PM -0500, Jody McIntyre wrote:

> How do you find logwatch overall?  I used to run logcheck on my servers,
> but it sent me a large number of useless log messages that obscured the
> (presumably) useful information, which really defeats the purpose.  I
> looked for a way to tell it to stop, but couldn't find anything obvious.
> Is logwatch easy to configure?
>
> I'm mainly wondering if it's worth the effort to backport it to Debian
> Stale, because my servers still run that.

I like it.  You can easily configure which services is scans the logs
for by editing /etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf

It defaults to doing everything possible, but you can turn that off and
then select individual services.  The services themselves are defined in
/etc/logwatch/conf/services/

-Vic
/me prefers the broken-reply-to lists. :)

--
Vic Gedris             |  Sick of getting Microsoft email viruses? Try
vic-at-gedris.org      |  using Linux instead!    http://www.linux.org