Re: [OCLUG-Tech] reduceing ssh brute force attempts with iptables

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] reduceing ssh brute force attempts with iptables
  • From: Martin Hicks <mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:29:39 -0500

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 11:16:11AM -0500, Trevor Curtis wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 09:48, Stephen Gregory wrote:
> > There was a recent discussion about blocking or atleast reduceing ssh
> > brute force attempts. There is a "recent" module for netfiler/iptables
> > that will help.
> >
> > http://blog.andrew.net.au/2005/02/16#ipt_recent_and_ssh_attacks
> >
> > http://snowman.net/projects/ipt_recent/
>
> I've been seeing some of these for a while now. Is it a big deal? Most
> of the attempts I've seen have been using root in their attacks, and I
> don't permit root to login.

I get a whole array of different users.  I don't think its a particular
issue unless you have weak passwords.  I also have the "logwatch"
package installed which gives me a good synopsis of failed ssh logins,
among other info.

mh

--
Martin Hicks || mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org || PGP/GnuPG: 0x4C7F2BEE