Re: xz, possibly libarchive, backdoor that affects ssh

On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 10:43:35PM -0400, Richard Guy Briggs via sigs-l3go wrote:
> On 24/03/29, Alex Pilon via sigs-l3go wrote:
> > @bcrl, it was a Postgres developer who found out the bug while trying to
> > quiesce a system.
>
> Thanks Alex.  I'd seen this earlier today and thankfully so far, all
> debian stable are not vulnerable, neither is fedora 40 beta or
> earlier.  No RHEL is vulnerable.  Nasty indeed.

There is one good thing about this: I discovered that Fedora / Red Hat /
Rocky don't change the "Compression" default in sshd_config.  I have now
changed all my systems over to "Compression delay" so that if there are
any further vulnerabilities in the compression code, that only
authenticated users can do damage.

		-ben
--
"Thought is the essence of where you are now."