Re: Starlink [was: Re: Reminder of L3GO meeting a week from today.]

  • Subject: Re: Starlink [was: Re: Reminder of L3GO meeting a week from today.]
  • From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf [ at ] sandelman [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2021 10:00:48 -0500
Richard Guy Briggs <rgb [ at ] tricolour [ dot ] ca> wrote:
    > On 2021-03-04 15:51, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
    >> On 2021-03-04 14:38, Benjamin LaHaise wrote: > On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at
    >> 08:00:01AM -0500, Richard Guy Briggs wrote: > > Reminder of L3GO
    >> meeting a week from today, Tue Mar 9 18:30:00 EST 2021.  > > Red
    >> Pepper Thai/Viet restaurant, 246 Queen Street.
    >> >
    >> > Anyone up for an in-person visit?
    >>
    >> I should be able to.

    > I'd be curious about your take on:

There are significant bufferbloat issues.
The bufferbloat list believes that the issues might all be in the base
station, but this remains to be seen.

I agree with Ben: if you can get fiber, get it.

It is completely unclear how Starlink will deal with e2e communication.
Will it involve a hop to some data center, and then back up to the sky again?
Musk says you can play pvp games, and that it's simpler than IPv6.
I think that their SDN isn't really as easy to manage as they imagined it
would be.  It has all of the issues that ATM, MPLS and SRH have with
utilitizing bandwidth which is not open shortest path first.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF [ at ] sandelman [ dot ] ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )