[SIGS-L3GO] model open source package for multi platform support

Does any one have any suggestions as to a good open source package that builds with make and supports multiple platforms that could be used as an example for other Linux libraries that need to be cross complied for multiple platforms. I continually run into one off home brew library build scripts that use make and build for multiple platforms and architectures that are excruciating to make sense of, debug, and modify so I was looking for a good reference one I could point people to when I complain that the one they have written is difficult to follow.
most tarballs just follow the standard make configure makemake install
I don't see why a library build script would need to be more complicated that that if developers new how to write autoconf scripts correctly.
thanks,
Jason