home | list info | list archive | date index | thread index

Re: Self-hosting? (was Re: email service)

Hi Dianne
Part of the issue, might be old folk like me who have a reasonable working
knowledge of linux.
However sometimes money for hardware and that extra knowledge base is
preventing them for taking the next step.
At the moment I find the 99c solution may well be satisfactory.
BTW, at 81, I seem to be busier than when work took my days.
Regards
Eric Brackenbury

On Sat, Oct 3, 2026, 10:34 a.m. Dianne Skoll via linux <
linux [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org> wrote:

> I guess not many people self-host their email any more. :(
>
> I self-host mine.  My MX host is a virtual machine hosted at OVH, and
> my actual mail storage server (IMAP) is a Raspberry Pi with a couple
> of large USB disks attached.  It's about 2 metres from where I'm
> sitting.
>
> Advantages of self-hosting:
>
> - Essentially unlimited storage
> - No ads
> - I'd know for sure if a government agency got a court order to look
>   at my mail server. :)
> - Mail hosted in Canada
>
> Disadvantages:
>
> - You need a strategy to deal with spam
> - Deliverability can be tricky
> - You need your own domain name
> - Realistically, you need a hosted server to act as your MX host
>
> For me, the advantages are worth it.  I have archives of all my mail since
> 1991. :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Dianne.
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank message to linux+unsubscribe [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org
> To get help send a blank message to linux+help [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org
> To visit the archives: https://lists.linux-ottawa.org
>
>