someone know or share on securing older devices that no longer receive security updates so they can work a bit longer?

  • Subject: someone know or share on securing older devices that no longer receive security updates so they can work a bit longer?
  • From: Michael Goguen <michael [ dot ] goguen [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 00:27:19 -0400
Does anyone know or share on securing older devices that no longer receive
security updates so they can work a bit longer?

In particular I'm wondering about using ChromeOS devices like chromebooks
that no longer receive security and other updates to maybe put on developer
mode and tweak to make them a bit more secure and possibly still able to be
updated to stay a bit functional, ie so old google web store apps might
still be able to work, preferred extensions etc and is it still possible
to... set them up so if they have problems you can still wipe them (if for
instance some people like me might otherwise not be able to fix problems
manually) and restore the important bits so it can still keep working
hopefully after a wipe?

Thx

Michael Goguen