Re: Upgrading Older Desktop to Linux Mint 20.3

A couple of weeks ago, I posted an article on the subject of upgrading my
2014 Dell XPS 8700 from Linux Mint 18.3 to the current long term support
version 20.3.  I had hoped to be able to dual boot both versions during the
transition but discovered that would be more of a challenge than I was able
to take on.  I also wanted to convert the boot method from Legacy (MBR) to
UEFI (GPT) as well as to update the BIOS firmware to the latest version
available from Dell.

I am happy to report that, after a number of restless nights, I finally
figured it out.  After the fact, it all seemed kind of obvious but while I
was in the throes of the struggle it did not seem that way to me. Those of
you who are accustomed to tearing down and rebuilding machines as a matter
of course will not likely have anything to learn from my travails but if
there are any others, like myself, who only do a major system upgrade every
two or three years, you might find the story of interest.

I am planning to write up a detailed account and will make it available for
anyone who might be interested but, for now, here is the crux...

First, I backed up the old system and home directories from the target
drive (/dev/sda), the 500GB SSD that had the old Mint 18.3 install.  A long
story in itself, that I'll leave for the detailed account.

*The tricky bit* - *is to convert the machine from Legacy to UEFI boot just
before you install the new OS from the live USB*.  On my machine, the boot
menu is accessed by hitting "F2" during restart.  Once in the boot menu,
navigate to the boot tab and change the boot method from "Legacy" to
"UEFI". After saving the changes, the machine boots in UEFI mode from the
USB (I had previously configured the USB to be the first choice in the boot
order).

Once the system launched the live version of Mint, I ran the install
process and selected the first option to "Erase disk and install Linux
Mint".  This process, re-formats the primary drive (/dev/sda) from Legacy
(MBR) to UEFI (GPT), creating a 500MB, fat32, EFI partition for the boot
loader (mounts at /boot/efi) and formats the rest of the drive in a single
"ext4" partition for the both system "/" and the "/home" directories.
Another time, I might break out the system and home directories into
different partitions to facilitate re-installing the OS without have to
rebuild my home directory from backups.

After all my agonizing, that's all there was to it.  My eight year old
machine is now running like a top in UEFI mode (boots in less than a
minute) and I even managed to re-partition the little 32GB on-board SSD,
that came with the system, as a swap partition.

Thanks again to John Nash, Scott Murphy and Jean-François for their advice
and encouragement.

I will try to write up a more detailed account in the next few days and
make it available if anyone one is interested.