Re: modem-router as router

After reading some manual stuff and some online comments, as well as responses from this
group (thanks!), I decided it was simplest to update my router. I got an Asus RT-AC66U from
Canada Computers for ~$100. It is supposedly compatible with Tomato if I wish to use that,
but for the moment I decided to use the Asus offering to ensure h/w OK. There are lots of
options I've not even vaguely considered yet.

Timing tests don't show a huge gain in speed on wired connections (and in the process I
realized I normally have a 10/100 DLink DSS-5+ between router and machine. May update
that soon.)
Very crude timings:
No switch -- 86 secs to move 1.3G file from Synology Diskstation to local machine
Switch in -- 116 secs
To recent laptop: 2.4G wifi 109 secs
                   5G  wifi  86 secs.

Cheers, JN