Update on this Linux-Ottawa email list and OCLUG activities

I want to update OCLUG members about the upcoming upgrade of this email list.

OCLUG is moving our website, email, and list servers to a new Debian 11 VPS in the OVH (Montreal) datacentre starting this week! We're taking advantage of the Black Friday sale to save OCLUG money on hosting costs.

We've set a deadline of December 31 for completing this upgrade and move. Of course, OCLUG volunteers doing the work will be happy to finish their work earlier if possible.

As part of this move we're upgrading the current email list software -which does not work with modern email standards- to the latest version of Mailman 3 which does.

We are also unifying our domain name registration and hosting at OVH.

Most of the work on the new Mailman 3 list migration has already been done. There will be some adjustments necessary in the new server and DNS configuration, as we establish our new home. (For the next short while, if you want to send a message to this list but are unsure that it will get delivered properly, you are welcome to email me directly. I would be glad to repost it on your behalf.)

As part of the migration we will be restoring the most significant part of OCLUG's history: a record of member participation, just in time for our 25th anniversary on March 2022! Watch for the upcoming announcement of this list's recovered archives documenting Ottawa's Linux enthusiasts' history.

Because of the major release upgrade of Debian and its software packages, we're taking the opportunity to clean up the old system and start fresh. We'll carefully and manually migrate each of the software packages we use now.

We're happy to be at this stage of progress after some frustrating and unexpected delays for everyone. *Thank you* for your patience and participation as a Linux-Ottawa member.

Speaking of participation - our fearless leader, Scott Murphy, is sending you a message about OCLUG's annual "Scripting Night" next Thursday. It sounds like a lot of interesting fun, based on what people have already been cooking up! Watch for Scott's message here on how to register _your_ entry. No script is too small; no scripting language is too weird :-) Your participation will be most welcomed.

best,

Brett Delmage
for the OCLUG board of directors