Re: Veritasium video on the frequency of bit flips

> On Sep 3, 2021, at 05:09, Brett Delmage <Brett [ dot ] Delmage [ at ] twobikes [ dot ] ottawa [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca> wrote:
>
> Does anyone on this list run ZFS without ECC?

I run ZFS in my home NAS.

> I always understood it was a risky filesystem choice without ECC. I really do not want to have extensive filesystem corruption because of a bit flip, so have not used it.

A bit flip in the wrong place can destroy any file system and any computer. ZFS is not really any different in this regard.

I run ZFS because it’s the only mature F/S which does checksumming across it’s data, not just the metadata. It’s slower but that’s OK.

Now I only use JBOD mode on any of my systems. If I need data redundancy, I sync the data between different disks using rsync/unison, preferably across different boxes and locations.

I use to use RAID-1 (or ZFS equiv) for redundancy but I have had enough HDD failures (consumer versions) that I no longer trust RAID because of possible rebuild problems.

I no longer use RAID for any data I care about due to latency and higher probability of rebuild failure. RAID’s throughput advantage no longer matter much to me because of SSD. Spinning rust latency is much more of an throughput issue. With big disks, rebuilding RAID-5 arrays has greater risks catastrophic failure (and can take forever in corporate settings). The time for RAID has gone by..

If you need more throughput then m.2 NVME SSD can provide (editing raw 8K videos is one of the few I can think of), buy a PCIe flash card. Those things run close to full PCIe bus speed with multiple lanes.

My $0.02 worth.

Spencer