Network driver

As those reading this list will know, I've recently acquired a new HP laptop, and have had some
adventures in linux setup.

I thought that I'd solved my networking issues, but have found the internal wifi won't play nice with
avahi-discover and especially printer installation. A tiny TP-link USB wifi did work UNTIL I found a driver
at https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw89, but now trying both gives no wifi at all and some messages about Realtek RTL
8188EUS (I think this is the one in the box) and Realtek Renoir GPP Bridge, and actually says "wifi disabled".

An older TPLink TL-WN321G works fine and drives printer and allows ".local" connection.

I've found a possible update to the FIRMWARE at https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg212019.html
and have downloaded the .bin file, but I'm reluctant to try executing that before I know more.

Some related comments are at https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg212457.html

Anyone have suggestions? I'm out of my comfort zone here.

Cheers, JN