Re: expansion of tilde for home directory

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 11:35:19 -0400
jean-Francois Messier <jf [ at ] messier [ dot ] ca> wrote:

> I would also assume that if this command was run as root it would not
> work, as root's home directory is /root.

DIR="$(echo ~)/Something/" would "fix" that, but...

... this is why you should not use shell programming for anything
serious or production-level, IMO.  Its quoting rules are traps for the
unwary.  Better to use a proper language like Python, Perl or
whatever.

Regards,

Dianne.