Re: Recommendations for a small, cheap, VM that I can use to host a tiny website

  • Subject: Re: Recommendations for a small, cheap, VM that I can use to host a tiny website
  • From: Dianne Skoll <dianne [ at ] skoll [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 16:42:58 -0400
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 16:33:55 -0400
Kevin Szabo <k [ dot ] s [ dot ] szabo [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:

> Dianne, you mentioned that you have a tiny server from Luna Node at
> USD $3.50 per month.  Would you recommend it for hosting some
> extremely low bandwidth pages?

If they're static, absolutely.  The server has 15GB of disk space and
1GB of RAM, and a pretty under-powered CPU, but for static pages and
even lightweight dynamic sites, it's fine.  I run a Jitsi Meet
server on my instance and haven't had any problems with it.

> Anybody else have any recommendations?  Oh, and tutorials on how to
> set webservers on the recommended VM would be great too.

I used the m.1s instance in the "MEMORY-OPTIMIZED" tab at
https://www.lunanode.com/pricing

You can install whatever OS you like... they supply Debian and other
Linux images, I believe, or you can supply your own bootable ISO image.
Once it's installed, you have root on the server, so installing Apache or
whatever is just the same as doing it on your own Linux machine.

Regards,

Dianne.